Coconut Millet Porridge
Take a break from your morning oatmeal with this sweet millet recipe.
Loaded with amino acids, millet is known as an anti-aging grain because it can help improve the elasticity of your skin and prevent hair loss. It's a gluten-free grain that you can use as a quick-cooking substitute for oats or rice and perfect in both sweet and savory recipes.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 cups cooked millet
- 3 tbsp unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp toasted, unsweetened, flaked coconut
1. If millet is uncooked, cook in a ratio of 1 part millet to 2 1/2 parts water for about 30 minutes.
2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together almond milk, coconut milk, vanilla, honey, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom.
3. Stir millet, and 3 tablespoons of coconut flakes, breaking up any clumps of millet.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, and lower to simmer.
5. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, breaking up any remaining clumps of millet, until thickened.
6. Remove from heat and serve with pistachios and toasted coconut flakes, if desired.