Easy Carrot Hot Dogs
This plant-based alternative recipe for hot dogs is very tasty!
The key to this trendy recipe is all in the marinade – it’s how the carrots get their hot dog flavor. The water, soy sauce, liquid smoke, maple syrup, ketchup (or tomato paste), and steak sauce all combine to provide that familiar deep, smoky taste. Most steak sauces are actually vegan, so anyone from meat-lovers to plant-based foodies can enjoy this hot dog recipe.
- 8 carrots peeled and trimmed to hot dog bun length
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tsp steak sauce or vegan worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp ketchup or tomato paste
- 2 cups water
How to make Carrot Dogs on the Stovetop
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together liquid ingredients.
2. Add peeled carrots and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to a medium simmer and cook carrots until barely fork-tender, 8-10 minutes depending on thickness.
4. Remove from the heat and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove from the cooking liquid and serve with desired toppings.
How to make Carrot Dogs in the Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
1. All liquid ingredients in the Instant Pot insert and whisk to combine.
2. Add carrots and lock the lid.
3. Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes, then release pressure manually.
4. Let sit in the marinade for 15-20 minutes, simmering in the liquid if not all the way cooked.