Hungry Girl's Chocolate Chocolate Donuts
This recipe is unique in that it delivers rich, fudgy flavor for only 155 calories!
Too many desserts out there today are marked with buzzwords like organic or gluten-free to make them seem healthy when they're really not, or they are just too tiny to satisfy any craving. That all changes with Hungry Girl's delicious Chocolate Chocolate Donuts, the recipe she perfected after with seven tries! For a little extra flair, try filling the donut holes with the recipe's topping using a DIY piping bag.
From Hungry Girl Clean & Hungry OBSESSED! by Lisa Lillien
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp Truvia spoonable no-calorie sweetener (or another natural brand about twice as sweet as sugar)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup egg whites (about 2 large eggs' worth)
- 1/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tbsp mini (or chopped) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tbsp mini (or chopped) semi-sweet chocolate chips (for topping)
- 2 tsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk (for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a standard six-cavity donut pan with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
3. In a medium bowl, combine all remaining donut ingredients except chocolate chips. Whisk until uniform.
4. Add contents of the medium bowl to the large bowl, and stir until smooth and uniform. (Batter will be thick.)
5. Fold in chocolate chips. Evenly fill donut pan with batter, and smooth out the tops.
6. Bake until a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out mostly clean, about 10 minutes.
7. Let donuts cool completely, about 10 minutes in the pan and 15 minutes out of the pan.
8. In a very small microwave-safe bowl, combine topping ingredients. Microwave at 50 percent power for 25 seconds.
9. Stir topping until smooth and uniform. Drizzle or spread over donuts.