Hungry Girl's Sweet Coconut Crunch Shrimp
This recipe will quickly become your favorite alternative to fried coconut shrimp!
This coconut shrimp offers the most delicious mix of flavors, both hot and sweet, by incorporating chili powder, garlic powder, and shredded coconut. Just one serving is packed with protein, something you can feel proud of now, without the guilt that comes with regular frying! This recipe uses panko breadcrumbs and high-fiber cereal to faux-fry, but Hungry Girl also sometimes uses reduced fat chips or pretzels as well for this and other recipes. Try them all and see what you love!
- 1/4 cup natural bran/high-fiber cereal, finely crushed
- 1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 3 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- pinch salt
- 12 oz. (about 20) raw large shrimp, peeled, tails removed, deveined
- 1/4 cup egg whites (about 2 large eggs' worth)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
2. In a wide bowl, mix crushed cereal, coconut, panko breadcrumbs, and seasonings.
3. Place shrimp in a large bowl and pat dry. Top with egg whites and toss to coat.
4. One at a time, shake shrimp to remove excess egg whites and coat with crumbs.
5. Evenly place shrimp on the baking sheet. Bake until cooked through and crispy, about 10-12 minutes.