Patricia Heaton's Mozzarella and Sun-Dried Tomato-Stuffed Peppers
Try this delicious all-new stuffed pepper recipe as a side or a dinner!
Patricia Heaton has been experimenting with vegetables to make them more than a side and the star of any meal. Try this new "veggie-forward" meal from her cookbook to make stuffed peppers like you've never seen them before! The sun-dried tomatoes add the perfect sweetness and chewiness, and when they're added to the peppers, mozzarella, and herbs, you end up with a meal packed with both flavor and nutrients. Find more recipes like this one here.
From Patricia Heaton's Food for Family and Friends: 100 Favorite Recipes for a Busy, Happy Life by Patricia Heaton. Copyright © 2018. Reprinted by permission of Morrow Cookbooks, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated
- 4 red bell peppers
1. Swirl enough oil into a medium skillet to coat the bottom. Heat over medium heat until simmering. Add the shallot and sauté for 2 minutes, until softened and golden. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Stir in the diced tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
4. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the rice and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Set aside.
5. Slice the tops off the bell peppers and scoop out the seeds. Evenly spoon the rice filling into the peppers. Arrange the peppers in an 8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella on top.
6. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the peppers are soft and the cheese is lightly golden. Serve hot.