Rachael Ray's Roasted Beet Farro With Red Wine
This Mediterranean dish is packed with flavor.
If you love to indulge in Mediterranean comfort foods but are looking for a healthy twist, Rachael Ray has the perfect solution. This lower carb pasta fix is packed with fragrant ingredients and heart-healthy veggies so you can enjoy this dish for lunch, dinner, or any time a craving strikes.
- 1 bunch beets with large leafy tops
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling, plus 3 tbsp
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb farro spaghetti
- 4 large shallots or 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bottle Rosso di Montalcino or Rosso di Montepulciano (Tuscan red wine)
- 2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- grated Pecorino or ricotta salata cheese
- toasted pistachios
- chopped mint and parsley
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Rub beets with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place beets in baking dish, cover with foil and roast until tender, cool to handle. Rub off skins of beets with a paper towel. Rub you hands with a little olive oil to keep them from staining.
2. Chop or grate into small bite-sized pieces on rubber board to keep wood from staining.
3. Bring large pot of water to boil for pasta. Salt water and add spaghetti, boil 6 minutes and drain.
4. Meanwhile, in a 5 quart pot or deep skillet over medium heat add extra virgin olive oil and sauté the shallots and garlic for 3 minutes.
5. Add a bottle of wine, bring to boil and reduce it over high heat for 3 minutes then add the pasta and grated beets. Cook until most of the liquid evaporates over medium high heat, tossing frequently with tongs.
6. Add beet greens and wilt into pasta.
7. Finish pasta with balsamic drizzle or aged, thick balsamic vinegar and top with cheese, pistachios, mint, and parsley.