Let this recipe from a Bite Club member introduce you to your new favorite healthy carb called teff!
Teff is the perfect new carb to try! The smallest grain in the world, it's easily processed by anyone's gut or sugar type, providing you with lots of iron, protein, and fiber for very little fat content! With delicious recipes like these, teff will quickly become a staple in your new diet and finally convince you that you don't have to fear carbs when you're trying to lose weight. Pair these patties with the bun of your choice (not included in the calorie count) or with a lettuce wrap for a 100% gluten-free meal!
- 1 cup whole grain teff
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 scallions
- 6 slices preferred cheese
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
1. Place teff, water, sesame oil, thyme, garlic, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Stir once or twice toward the end of the cooking process.
2. Spread the cooked teff mixture in a shallow pan or on a plate to cool. When cooled, add scallions and form 6 equally portioned patties.
3. Heat a nonstick skillet that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick vegetable spray and cook patties until nicely browned on both sides.
4. Top with cheese. Turn heat off and allow cheese to slightly melt.
5. Serve with toppings like lettuce, tomato, and onion on the buns of your choice.