Skip store-bought sprinkles and make your own with this one-ingredient recipe.
Beets are a colorful and nutritious root vegetable and they just so happen to make fun cupcake sprinkles. This no-sugar-added healthy sprinkle recipe from America's Test Kitchen is worth the extra effort for chocolate-beet cupcakes or any cake recipe.
- 4 oz beets, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200°F.
2. Process beets in a food processor until finely ground, about 20 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
3. Place in a triple layer of cheesecloth; wring out as much liquid as possible. Spread into an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake, stirring occasionally, until dry and crisp, about 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool completely before serving. Beet sprinkles can be stored at room temperature for up to two days.