Jacques Torres' 'Wicked' Hot Chocolate
This hot chocolate recipe will warm you up before you step outside.
Taking a walk in the wintertime sounds idyllic but often goes hand-in-hand with uncomfortably cold temperatures. Luckily, Jacques Torres' hot chocolate recipe is here to keep you warm and make those icy strolls more enjoyable. The added spice gives this sweet drink a pleasant kick that will warm you up.
- 2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 1 cup 60% dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 3/4 tsp cornstarch
- pinch of chipotle powder
- pinch of ancho chili powder
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 cup heavy cream
1. Bring milk to a boil in a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat.
2. Lower the heat to medium, then add the chocolate, whisking vigorously until the chocolate is completely melted.
3. Add the milk powder and cornstarch, still whisking, until dissolved and the mixture is smooth and thick.
4. Add chipotle powder, ancho chili powder, and allspice. Whisk until dissolved.
5. For the whipped cream pour the heavy cream into a medium bowl and put it in the freezer for 5 minutes. Take the cream out of the freezer and whisk until soft peaks form.
6. To serve, divide the hot chocolate into four mugs. Garnish with a large dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle lightly with chili powder, if desired.