Jamika Pessoa's Smoked Turkey and Kale Soup
Warm up this winter with the hearty soup recipe.
Photo from Elizabeth Griffin.
Jamika Pessoa sticks to the 80/20 diet, meaning she eats healthy 80 percent of the time and lets loose the other 20 percent. She loves this soup because it's healthy and counts towards the 80 percent, but it tastes so good you'll think you're splurging. Give this recipe a try to enjoy for lunch or dinner.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 1-2 lbs smoked turkey pieces (neck, wings, or leg)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced and seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 lb kale, washed, stems removed, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the turkey pieces on all sides for 6-8 minutes.
2. Stir in peppers and onions and sauté 2 to 3 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the chicken broth, and vinegar.
3. Reduce to medium heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Stir in the kale and season with salt and pepper. Continue to simmer uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the smoked turkey pieces and shred. Return the meat to the pot. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
**Note: Calorie count is for 1 lb of turkey pieces