Alex Guarnaschelli's Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti “Waffles”
Make a spaghetti side dish with a waffle iron using this unique mash-up recipe.
This food mash-up takes two of your favorite foods, chicken parmesan and spaghetti a reinvents the wheel. This recipe great way to use your leftover spaghetti to make something unique and delicious with your waffle maker.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast meat, sliced into pieces ¼-inch thick and pounded thinner
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs firm, whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 6 cups cooked spaghetti
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
1. Crack 3 eggs and separate the yolks into a small bowl. Add a splash of cold water to the yolks and whisk to blend. In another bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and garlic powder. Season the chicken pieces on both sides with salt and dip each thoroughly in the eggs and then thoroughly in breadcrumbs. Place the chicken in a single layer on a baking sheet. Refrigerate.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil and butter over medium heat. Heat until the butter begins to froth. Add the chicken pieces in a single layer and cook on the first side until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Gently turn them on their second side and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. When cooked, remove them from the pan with a slotted spatula and turn them onto a paper towel to drain slightly.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F.
4. Remove the excess grease from the pan where the chicken was cooked. Add the tomato sauce and cook until warmed, 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the basil. Layer half of the chicken in a single layer in a medium baking dish. Top with half of the sauce and about half of the mozzarella and Parmesan. Top with remaining chicken then remaining sauce and remaining cheese to coat the top. Place in the oven and bake until hot and bubbling, 25-30 minutes. Broil the cheese for 1 minute if possible.
5. Preheat the waffle iron. In a large bowl, toss the spaghetti with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 3 eggs. When iron is hot, lightly brush the inside with some olive oil to prevent sticking. Take about 3/4 to 1 cup of the pasta and arrange it on the hot waffle iron and close the lid. Cook, without disturbing, 5-8 minutes. Open and remove. Season with salt. Repeat with the remaining pasta. Serve waffles alongside chicken.
For more Dr. Oz wellness tips, recipes, and exclusive sneak peeks from The Dr. Oz Show, subscribe to the Dr. Oz newsletter.