Jackfruit Barbecue Sandwiches With Light Coleslaw
You'd never guess this delicious barbecue sandwich recipe is vegetarian.
You don't have to give up that delicious BBQ flavor just because the winter months are coming. This warm, delicious jackfruit barbecue sandwich recipe from Instagram influencer Chrissa Benson, aka physicalkitchness, will satisfy your whole family's taste buds and your appetite. The best part about this recipe? It's meatless and perfect if you're vegan, vegetarian, or are looking to experiement with plant-based recipes.
- 14 oz can of jackfruit
- pack of hamburger buns
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon or spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 (14 oz) bag of shredded cabbage mix
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp honey
1. Open the canned jackfruit and drain in a fine-mesh strainer, rinsing to remove any of the brine.
2. Shred the jackfruit chunks using two forks, or your fingers, to pull apart and then set aside.
3. To make the BBQ sauce, combine the tomato paste, maple syrup, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, mustard, liquid smoke, and 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
4. Add the pulled jackfruit and BBQ sauce to a medium pan over medium heat and cook for 5-8 minutes.
5. Make the coleslaw dressing by combining the mayonnaise, honey, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, and remaining salt and pepper. Pour dressing in a bowl of shredded cabbage and mix well to combine. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
6. Scoop the warm BBQ jackfruit mixture on buns and top with the chilled coleslaw.