A cleanse should be enjoyable, and with this dinner option, it is. Indulge your taste buds in the thick and creamy flavors of tomato and basil. This soup is oil-free and full of vegetables, making it the perfect addition to your evening routine. This soup isn't all you get to enjoy at dinnertime. Pair the creamy goodness with a warm salad loaded with vegetables.
- 2 tbsp low-sodium chicken broth, plus 2 cups
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 medium clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, chopped
- 3 cups Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable broth in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes, or until they become translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Add the carrots and celery, and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, 2 cups vegetable broth and the tomato paste. Bring the mixture to a boil, and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Remove the soup from+ heat and let cool. Transfer the cooled soup to a blender, add the basil and the apple cider vinegar, and blend until fairly smooth.
4. Pour the soup into a saucepan, and stir in the almond milk and the bay leaves. Reheat the soup over medium heat. For a thicker consistency, allow the soup to reduce, stirring frequently, for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves with a slotted spoon, season the soup with sea salt and pepper to taste, and serve.