Regular burgers are high in fat and calories and therefore usually forbidden on a diet. But this vegetarian burger from chef Rocco DiSpirito is packed with protein and nutrients to give you lots of energy. Try out this recipe from the 21-Day Weight Loss Breakthrough Diet to fulfill your burger cravings and lose weight at the same time.
- 2 tbsp drained no-salt-added black beans
- 3 oz cremini mushrooms, gills removed with a spoon
- 1/3 cup peeled grated raw beet
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp egg white powder
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place the black beans in a mortar and use the pestle to mash them, then scrape the mashed beans into a bowl. Chop the mushrooms until they are almost a puree. Add the mushrooms and beets to the bowl with the black beans and mix well with a spoon until you have a loose paste. Season with salt, pepper, and chili powder and add the egg white powder. Mix well with a spoon until smooth.
3. Form the mixture into a patty about 3/4-inch thick on a parchment paper square. Spray a large nonstick ovenproof skillet with cooking spray and place it over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, gently slide the patty into the pan. Cook the patty until the bottom is browned and it has started to firm up, two to three minutes. Spray the top of the patty with cooking spray, flip, and cook until the other side is beginning to brown. Place the pan in the oven and cook until the patty is firm, two to three minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the oven and place the cooked patty on a plate. Serve as desired.
1. Use only the freshest mushrooms for this recipe or the burger’s flavor could be compromised.
2. Skip the bun and put this burger between two large romaine leaves.
3. These can be cooked ahead of time and just reheated in a toaster oven.
4. Add 1/4 of an avocado, mashed up, for an additional 57 calories.
Recipe from COOK YOUR BUTT OFF! by Rocco DiSpirito
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in The 21-Day Weight Loss Breakthrough.