3 tbsp grapeseed oil 6 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced 2 pears, quartered, cored and thinly sliced crosswise 2 apples, quartered, cored and thinly sliced crosswise 4 cloves garlic crushed 3 sprigs thyme 5 sage leaves, thinly sliced 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock 1 cup apple cider 3/4 cup cashews, plus more for topping salt and pepper, to taste 1 tbsp butter 1 apple cored and sliced into 1/3-inch thick rounds mild blue cheese
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a large, deep baking pan, toss the oil with onions, pears, apples, and garlic and bake for about one hour.
3. Remove from oven, stir in the thyme, sage, and stock. Return to oven and bake for two more hours.
4. Carefully remove the pan from the oven. Remove the thyme stems. Transfer three cups of the soup, apple cider, and 3/4 cup of cashews to a blender and process until nice and smooth.
5. Return the blended mixture to the pan, stir together with the rest of the soup and return to the oven to keep warm. To serve, melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat, and brown the apple rounds on both sides, adding the cheese until slightly melted.
6. Top each bowl of soup with an apple/cheese slice and sprinkle with some chopped cashews and serve.
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.