If you think having bone broth for breakfast on the 10-Day Belly Slimdown isn't satisfactory enough, make it feel more like breakfast by adding a caffeine boost to it. This recipe has espresso powder added for an extra kick.
Recipe from The 10-Day Belly Slimdown by Dr. Kellyann Petrucci
- 3 lbs (or more) beef bones
- 1 medium onion, cut into large wedges
- 2 lbs (or more) meaty bones such as oxtail, short ribs, etc.
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Celtic or pink Himalayan salt
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2-4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3-4 celery ribs, including leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- filtered water
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
1. Place all bones and meat in a large stockpot, slow cooker, or pressure cooker. Add the vinegar, vegetables, bay leaves, salt, and peppercorns. Add enough filtered water to cover everything by 1-inch.
2. If using a stockpot, bring the liquid to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and let simmer for at least 12 hours, adding filtered water as needed so bones are always covered.
3. If using a slow cooker, cover and cook on low for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours, adding filtered water only if needed so the bones are always covered.
4. If using a pressure cooker, using your cooker’s instructions, bring to full pressure. Reduce the heat to low, maintaining full pressure, and cook for three hours. Allow the pressure to naturally release.
5. When the broth is done, strain it through a fine-mesh strainer. Discard the bones and vegetables, and reserve the meat for another use. Or you can refrigerate or freeze the bones and reuse them to make another batch of broth.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Oz Investigates: What’s Really In Your Fast Food Pizza.