These black bean brownies will have mouths watering and then jaws dropping. With this recipe, there's no need to sacrifice taste come dessert. It's all baked into the mix.
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, drained, rinsed (1 15-ounce can)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave (for non-vegans, honey is fine)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2-2/3 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Pulse all ingredients, except chocoloate chips, in a food processor until completely smooth. Really blend well. (For texture, a food processor works best. A blender is fine if necessary.)
3. Stir in chocolate chips and pour into a greased 8×8 pan. Optional: Sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top.
4. Cook for 15–18 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut (yields about 9–12 squares). If they look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will firm up.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Top Consumer Investigations: Are Fiber-Fortified Foods Fake?.