4 veal shanks 4 oz fresh tomatoes, diced 2 oz tomato paste 4 oz carrots, diced 2 oz onions, chopped 2 oz celery, diced 2 cloves garlic, chopped 2 tbsp canola oil 4 oz vegetable broth 4 oz dry white wine (optional) 2 oz all-purpose flour 1 twig thyme 1 bay leaf 1 pinch cinnamon (optional) salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180°.
2. Season the veal shanks with salt and pepper, then dust with flour.
3. Under high heat, fry shanks in canola oil for about three minutes on both sides. Remove from pot and set aside.
4. ln the same pot, add the carrots, onions, garlic, and celery, let sizzle for one minute.
5. Add the fresh tomatoes, stir, then deglaze with white wine, and let cook for another two minutes.
6. Add the tomato paste, stir, and let simmer for about one minute. Adjust seasoning, add cinnamon.
7. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and then return the veal into the pot. Add in the bay leaf and the thyme.
8. Spoon half of the mixture from the bowl onto the veal, add the broth, and place in the oven for two hours while basting every 30 minutes.
9. After two hours, spoon the other half of the mixture onto the veal. If it seems dry add a little more liquid. Let it braise for another 30 minutes.
10. Enjoy with saffron rice or risotto.
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.