Canned chicken is a great purchase if you're looking to shop for protein options on a budget. If you've never dabbled in the art of cooking with canned chicken, you might want to try this easy pizza recipe. Using the chicken as the crust this recipe turns pizza into a protein-packed meal.
Recipe from Chef Tini
- 10 oz canned chicken, in water
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- fresh basil, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Drain chicken thoroughly, break it up well and spread out over sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Try not to overlap pieces.
3. Bake 10 minutes then remove chicken from oven and transfer to a bowl to cool. Turn up oven to 500°F.
4. Once cooled, break apart chicken with hands until it’s all shredded. Add egg and cheese and thoroughly mix together until it forms a ball.
5. Place chicken “dough” on a piece of parchment and lay another piece on top. Using a rolling pin, roll out crust to desired shape — the thinner the better!
6. Remove top layer of parchment, transfer to sheet pan and bake in oven 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown on bottom and edges. Remove from oven, spread a layer of sauce over top, sprinkle with dried oregano, more grated cheese, and then mozzarella cheese. Tip: Try not to put too much sauce or the dough will get soggy.
7. Return to oven, bake another 10-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven, let cool and serve warm.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Cheap Chicken — What Are You Really Getting When You Pay Less?.