This chocolate-avocado mousse is gluten-free and full of healthy fats. The sweetness from the medjool dates in conjunction with the banana enhances the naturally sweet flavor of the mousse. Also, the dates and banana are both high in potassium and fiber, which means eating this mousse is actually good for you! This recipe is courtesy of the Institute of Culinary Education.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup milk (you can also use a non-dairy beverage, such as almond milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2-4 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 very ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup 70% chocolate, melted (or 1/4 cup powdered chocolate)
1. Split the avocados in half and scoop out the insides, discarding the large pit in the center.
2. Place the avocado pulp, milk, vanilla extract, salt, pitted medjool dates, and ripe banana into a food processor. Puree until smooth and creamy looking.
3. Add melted 70% chocolate into the food proessor and puree again to fully incorporate the melted chocolate. This mixture will now look like a creamy, chocolate mousse.
4. Divide the chocolate mousse into 4-6 small glasses or bowls and wrap with plastic wrap. Allow the chocolate-avocado mousse to chill for a minimum of 4 hours (ideally overnight) before serving.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in The Truth Behind America’s Biggest Foods: Is the World Running Out of Chocolate?.