Terry Hope Romero's delicious twist on America's favorite breakfast staple takes innovation to the next level. With this new recipe from her book, Protein Ninja, you can create the same rich, smoky flavor of bacon, while adding a little extra island flare all from the comfort of your own home. These coconut bacon bites can also be used in soups and sandwiches to give your meal an extra boost of flavor.
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tsp liquid aminos (such as Bragg’s or coconut liquid aminos) or tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke (such as hickory)
- 2 cups large, unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Preheat oven to 325°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, maple syrup, liquid aminos, and liquid smoke. Pour in coconut flakes and use a rubber spatula to thoroughly stir together, completely coating the flakes in the sauce.
3. Spread the flakes in a thin layer on the parchment paper and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until flakes are completely dry. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container in a dark, cool place.