This homemade frosting recipe from America's Test Kitchen adds sour cream for extra tang and full-fat cream cheese, which keeps the frosting consistency soft and loose. It's a great addition to chocolate-beet cupcakes or a two-layer cake.
- 1 1/4 lbs cream cheese, softened
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces and softened
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups (10 oz) confectioners' sugar
1. Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream, vanilla, and salt on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low, slowly add sugar, and beat until incorporated and smooth, about 4 minutes.
2. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. (Frosting can be refrigerated for up to 3 days; let soften at room temperature, about 1 hour, then re-whip on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.) Makes 3 cups, enough for cupcakes or a sheet cake.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in True Crime Thursday: Could This Happen to You: Sicko Surveillance – Are You Being Watched By Hidden Cameras Without Even Knowing It? .