Increase your calcium intake and keep your blood pressure in check by eating mac and cheese. This recipe is not your ordinary cheesy junk food dish, cottage cheese is included in the mix for added health benefits. Give it a try -- it's so delicious you won't miss your regular mac and cheese.
Recipe from James Briscione and The Institute of Culinary Education
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 4 cups cooked elbow pasta
- 1/4 cup pasta cooking water, plus more if needed
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine the cottage cheese and milk in a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Transfer cheese mixture to a pot and warm over medium-low heat. When the cottage cheese mixture is hot, stir in the mozzarella, Parmesan, cooked pasta, and pasta water.
3. Stir until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with extra Parmesan cheese and serve.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Eat Bread Again: The New Breads That Can Help You Lose Weight.