If you're looking for inventive ways to use canned goods during the COVID-19 outbreak, try this pumpkin soup using canned pumpkin and vegetable or chicken stock. This recipe can be made easily, and in bulk, in less than an hour.
For more items to put on your grocery list, click here.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into coins
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp fresh or ground ginger, optional
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 4-6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- lime wedge, for garnish (optional)
1. Heat a large sauce pot over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add in the carrots and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the spices and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in the puree and 4 cups of the stock. If the mixture is too thick add the remaining 2 cups of stock. Taste for seasoning and remove from the heat.
3. In batches, add the soup mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Be careful when blending hot liquids. Place the soup back into the pot and bring to a simmer. Add a squeeze of lime, if using, and ladle into bowls.