This lentil soup recipe, courtesy of Megan Casper, M.S., RDN, owner of Megan Casper Nutrition, and writer for Nourished Bite, is a protein powerhouse. Packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals, you can enjoy this dish for lunch, dinner, or anytime in between.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium vegetable bouillon
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp cumin
- 3 cups spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped or 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onions and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Stir in garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Add lentils, water, tomatoes, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about one hour or until lentils are tender.
3. When lentils are tender, stir in spinach and basil, and cook until it wilts. Stir in wine, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. For a creamy texture, remove about half of soup when cooled and puree in a blender. Add back to pot, garnish with basil, and enjoy!