Rich dark chocolate, tart green apples, and crunchy, heart-healthy nuts all in one dessert? Yes, please! These chocolate turtle apple slices from TV personality Cristina Ferrare's new cookbook, Food for Thought, are the perfect indulgent treat to cap off the night, and the ingredients are designed to give both your mind and body a health boost. Since the walnuts could help reduce brain damage and inflammation, there's no guilt in snacking on a few slices.
- 4 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 large, unpeeled green apples, sliced into 3/4-inch pieces
- 12 popsicle sticks
- 1 cup store-bought caramel sauce, poured into a plastic needle nose bottle
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a double boiler, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Melt the chocolate until it's smooth. Use a wooden spoon to mix.
3. With a paring knife, make a small slit in the bottom of each apple slice and insert a popsicle stick.
4. Dip the apple slices into the melted chocolate and place on the parchment-lined cookie sheet. Drizzle a tiny bit of the caramel sauce over the apple slices and sprinkle with nuts. Refrigerate 1 hour to set the chocolate.
5. After serving, cover leftover apples with wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.