Henna dye is a great way to cover up gray hairs and condition hair that has gone through years of chemical damage. (You can find it in most health food stores.) Follow this recipe to make your own henna deep-conditioning treatment to protect your dye job and hydrate your hair tonight.
- 100 grams BAQ henna
- 1 cup light, protein-free conditioner
- 1 1/2 cups warm green tea
1. Mix your henna as you would for a regular, full-strength treatment. Add 100 grams of Jamila henna to 1 1/2 cups of warm green tea, about 2 or 3 tea bags.
2. Seal off the container and let it sit for a little bit, about an hour.
3. Mix in 1 cup of conditioner. Make sure that the consistency isn’t too runny.
4. Apply to damp and detangled hair in sections. Then don a plastic baggy, cotton balls, or tissue rolled up near your ears to catch any dripping.
5. Leave in for the desired amount of time. The shorter the time (15 to 30 minutes), the less dye uptake, which means less red, but also less conditioning.
6. Dunk your head in the tub to wash away most of the mix. Hop in the shower and rinse away the rest using a conditioner. Apply a deep treatment.
7. Rinse and style as usual.
Recipe courtesy of Nikki Walton of Curly Nikki.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in New Breakthroughs for Thinning Hair.