There's so much you can do with apples this season. Satisfy your sweet tooth with these festive Halloween snacks from Daphne Oz.
- 6 Granny Smith apples, wax free
- 24 oz dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup sprinkles, mixed
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds, chopped
- 2 cups white chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tsp oil
- 5-10 drops vegetable food coloring, green
You'll also need:
6 lollipop or popsicle sticks
2 piping bags
6 googly eyes
1. Wash and dry the apples and remove the stems.
2. Place the sticks where the stems were and push firmly into the apple. Set the apples aside.
3. Melt the dark chocolate in a heat-safe glass bowl in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in the oil and dip the apples into the chocolate, swirling around so that the entire apple gets coated.
5. Place on a baking sheet covered in wax paper. Let the apples sit for about 10 minutes so that the chocolate sets a little but is not completely hard.
6. Cover two of the apples with sprinkles by holding the stick of the apple in one hand and spinning while sprinkling with the sprinkles. Repeat with 2 additional apples and the almonds.
7. For the remaining two apples, turn them into mummies! Add the neutral oil to the white chocolate and place half of it into one of the piping bag. Add the green food coloring to the remaining melted white chocolate and place in a separate piping bag.
8. To make the mummy wrap, make sure to cut a very small hole in the piping bag and pipe thin lines of white chocolate around the apple to look like mummy gauze. Leave a blank spot for the face.
9. Use the green chocolate to make the eyes. Place a dot of green chocolate onto the dark chocolate space for the face and add the googly eyes. Set aside to set up and repeat with the remaining apple. Let the apples sit until the chocolate has completely dried, about an hour at room temperature.