Daphne Oz's apple crisp is less than half the calories of a slice of regular apple pie. This warm, comforting dessert is ideal for those seeking a guilt-free dessert post dinner. Top it off with a scoop of Halo Top ice cream for the whole family to enjoy!
6 apples, quartered lengthwise, cored and cut crosswise into quarter inch slices 1 juice and zest of a lemon 2 tbsp coconut sugar 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger 2 pinches freshly grated nutmeg 3 tbsp coconut oil, plus 1/2 tsp for coating the pie plate 2 cups rolled oats 1/4 cup coconut sugar 1/4 cup sliced almonds 1 pinch salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease the baking dish with 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice and zest, 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and ginger. Mix well and set the filling aside.
3. For the crumble topping, process 1 cup of the oats in a blender until finely ground. In a medium bowl combine the ground oats, rolled oats, 1/4 cup of coconut sugar, almonds, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt and nutmeg. Mix well.
4. With your hands or a fork, work in 3 tablespoons of coconut oil until well dispersed.
5. Pour the apple mixture into the baking dish and top with the rolled oats crumble.
6. Place the baking dish on a cookie sheet and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the filling is bubbly and the apples have softened. Top if off with Halo Top ice cream if desired!
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.