Photo by Elizabeth Griffin
Transform a boring store-bought cake to look like a professionally decorated creation using this recipe's tips and tricks. With just a few ingredients you can easily make this cake to wow a crowd. While the recipe calls for a white cake with white icing, you can replicate it using the cake flavor of your choice (as long as the frosting stays white!).
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 1 10-12 inch, store-bought layer cake (white cake with white icing)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bag chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1 sugar cone
1. Set the store-bought cake onto a rotating cake stand. Using a bench scraper or a butter knife, lightly scrape the frosting off the cake so that you are left with just a thin layer of frosting. Place the excess frosting into a small bowl and set aside. Place the cake into the freezer.
2. Place the chocolate and the cream into a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments until the chocolate has melted. Stir until a rich, dark sauce has come together. Place the chocolate ganache into a squeeze bottle and let sit at room temperature for about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Remove cake from the freezer and place on the cake stand. Place the squeeze bottle just at the edge of the top of the cake and begin to gently squeeze out the ganache so that it drips down the side of the cake. As you squeeze spin the cake stand slowly so that the drips cover the sides of the entire cake — some short and some long, all the way around.
4. Squeeze more ganache over the top of the cake and smooth to the edges with a butter knife or offset spatula, making sure that the ganache doesn’t drip off the sides. Sprinkle the rainbow sprinkles along the top of the ganache and set the cake aside.
5. Stir together the reserved frosting and 2 tablespoons of the ganache. Scoop the frosting out with an ice cream scoop and place onto the top of the sugar cone.
6. Use the remaining ganache to cover the top of the ice cream scoop so that it drips down slightly and then turn the scoop upside down and place on top of the cake right in the center.
7. Serve and enjoy.