All the ingredients in this flavorful recipe can be found in your pantry. The medley of chickpeas, coconut milk, and spices is a unique take on a rice dish that will be sure to please your whole family.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp turmeric or curry powder
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced or slivered
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup chickpeas
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 4 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 (12 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1. Heat a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. When hot, add the turmeric or curry powder, onions, and garlic. Season with salt.
2. Once the onions and garlic are translucent, stir in the rice. Coat the rice with oil and cook until slightly opaque (about 3 minutes) and then stir in almonds, raisins, and chickpeas.
3. Add in water and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes until the rice is tender.
4. When cooked, turn the heat off of the rice and place the spinach into the pan with the rice and let the entire dish sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!