Weeknight dinners don't have to be stressful and overly involved. Try using the microwave to whip up this meal in under 30 minutes. Plus, using spaghetti squash is a great was to reduce your carb intake while still enjoying deliciously decadent carbonara sauce.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 2 small spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup hot water (from squash dish)
- 4 strips cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Season the squash all over with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, and pepper.
2. Place the squash in a microwave-safe baking dish, cut side down. Place about1/2-inch of water into the baking dish. If you don’t have a baking dish large enough for all 4 squash halves then cook in batches. Microwave on high for about 5 minutes and then check doneness with a paring knife or fork. Add additional water if it has evaporated. Microwave for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until tender. If the squash needs a little more time in the microwave then cook in 1 minute intervals until tender. Set the squash aside while you make the sauce.
3. Place the eggs into a medium bowl and slowly whisk in the hot water. Then whisk in the cheese, oil, and pepper.
4. Place each half of a squash onto a plate and place a 1/4 of the sauce onto each piece of squash. Using 2 forks, scrape the flesh to create strands of “spaghetti”. Mix until the cheese sauce is incorporated and then top with the bacon.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Robin Roberts on the Shocking Story of a Woman Stolen as a Baby.