1 1/2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
1 cup grated pecorino cheese
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups cups chicken or vegetable stock
1. Fill a large pot, fitted with a steamer basket, with 2 or 3 inches of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium-high and add the artichokes to the basket and steam until you can easily insert a knife into the center of each, about 30 minutes. Slice the stems off the artichokes and mince them. Set the artichokes aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
3. In a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic, oregano, and salt. Add the minced artichoke stems and stir to combine.
4. Loosen the leaves of the artichokes by gently pulling them away from the center and drizzle with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and 3/4 cup of the stock. Pack each artichoke with 1/6 (about 3 tablespoons) of the breadcrumb mixture. Place the stuffed artichokes in a large baking pan and drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup stock to moisten the bread crumbs and wet the bottom of the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the broiler. Remove the foil and carefully broil for 1 to 2 minutes, taking care not to burn them. Enjoy hot out of the oven or cold, no dipping sauce needed.
6. To store, place any remaining artichokes in the baking dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.