Instead of reaching for another brownie square, try a slice of this chocolate banana bread. To make this sweet treat, Daphne Oz swaps refined sugar for naturally sweet bananas, a move she happily discovered by mistake. The semisweet chocolate chips and the cocoa powder help transform the batter, making this dessert taste just like molten chocolate cake.
- 4 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (swap for whole grain flour if on the DASH Diet)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine mashed bananas, egg and egg yolk, and vanilla. Once melted butter is slightly cooled, whisk into banana mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar (if using), baking soda, and salt. Gently fold dry ingredients into banana mixture until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
4. Pour batter into a buttered loaf pan. Sprinkle top with sesame seeds (if using). Bake 45-50 minutes until a toothpick (or knife) inserted comes out clean.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Hilaria Baldwin and Daphne Oz’s Sugar Break.