If you have a lot of chicken sitting in your freezer this recipe is the perfect way to put it to good use. This sweet and spicy chicken is not only flavorful but it's also a creative way to use your chicken for dinner. Enjoy this recipe alongside your favorite grain, like quinoa or rice, and a vegetable for the perfect balanced meal.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle chile pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cherry peppers or 2 fresno peppers
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes, cored & chopped (or use 1 cup jarred salsa)
- 1 tbsp apricot jam or honey
- 3 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 2 scallions, minced
1. Heat a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. When hot, add in onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are tender and translucent (about 5 minutes).
2. Add in the spices and the garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the peppers and tomatoes, and cook until the tomatoes begin to break apart (about 6 minutes). Stir in the apricot jam and add in a bit of water if the sauce seems too thick.
3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and add into the pan and simmer. Cover until cooked through and tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Serve over rice or quinoa, garnish with scallions.