Cook up some of these clusters for a snack that is filled with fiber, vitamins, and protein. The medjool dates along with the dark chocolate creates a rich, sweet flavor that is hard to resist. This recipe is courtesy of the Institute of Culinary Education.
- 2 cups 70% dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup almonds, silvered
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup crispy brown rice cereal
- 1 pinch salt
- small paper cups or a baking sheet lined with wax paper
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place 2 cups of dark chocolate chips into a medium-size mixing bowl and begin to melt over a double boiler. (This is a pot filled halfway with water, which is simmering. The indirect heat of the steam will allow the chocolate to melt in a slow, gentle manner).
3. Place the 1/3 cup of silvered almonds on a baking tray and toast in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown.
4. Once the chocolate has melted, stir in the toasted almond silvers (it's OK to do this if the almonds are still warm) and the chopped dates. Stir to evenly combine.
5. Add 1 cup of crispy brown rice cereal and a pinch of salt to the bowl. Stir once more to evenly coat.
6. While the cluster mixture is still warm divide into small paper cups and allow to firmly set up. You can also place the cluster mixture directly onto a cookie sheet, which has been lined with wax paper.
7. Store these clusters in a cool, dry place, like your cupboard.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in The Truth Behind America’s Biggest Foods: Is the World Running Out of Chocolate?.