Dig in to the frozen spinach stock piling up in your freezer by making this side dish. This recipe is creamy, decadent and can be made in under 30 minutes with minimal ingredients and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 lbs frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup toasted panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp chopped thyme leaves
- 2 tsp chopped parsley
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat a large sauce pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat and add the butter.
2. Once melted add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes.
3. Season with salt and pepper and add the flour.
4. Cook until a paste forms and the flour cooks, about 3 more minutes.
5. Add the milk and bring to a simmer.
6. Fold in the spinach and the cream cheese and reduce heat to low.
7. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the butter.
8. Once melted stir in the garlic and the thyme and season with salt.
9. Stir in the breadcrumbs and cook until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes.
10. Place the spinach into a serving dish and top with breadcrumb mixture. Serve.