Photo from Elizabeth Griffin
Pizza and burgers are both foods that almost everyone craves from time to time... so why not combine them for the ultimate comfort food dinner? This pizza-stuffed burger recipe is a great way to give a cheesy, saucy kick to your typical burger. Warning: your friends may beg you for the recipe.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 2 1/2 lbs 80/20 ground beef, such as chuck
- 6 slices low-moisture mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (for brushing)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- favorite condiments (ketchup, mayo, mustard)
- sliced tomatoes
- 6 soft hamburger buns, split and lightly griddled
1. Divide the meat into 12 loose balls, then form into 1/4-inch thick patties.
2. Place the cheese and the onions into a small bowl and mix together, then add pepperoni. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Center 2-3 tablespoons of the cheese and pepperoni mixture onto the center of the patty, leaving a 1/2-inch border of beef around the cheese.
4. Top with another patty. Crimp the edges of the 2 patties together, sealing the cheese and pepperoni mixture inside.
5. Repeat with the remaining cheese and meat to make 6 cheese-stuffed patties.
6. Brush a large cast-iron skillet or griddle with the vegetable oil and heat to medium-high heat. Add the patties to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook 6 to 7 minutes.
7. Flip and then poke the middle of each patty with a toothpick to release steam: cook 6 to 7 more minutes for medium.
8. Let the patty sit for about 3 minutes, before plating, so that the burger has time to rest.
9. To build your sandwich, add your favorite condiments to the bun, top with the patty, then place the remaining half of the bun on top. Repeat with the remaining burgers and enjoy!
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Oz Investigates: The New Pork Rules & How to Eat Pork Now.