Photo from Elizabeth Griffin
Grilled cheese is a fan-favorite, but it's not always the healthiest option available. This recipe from adds cauliflower, a trendy and healthy ingredient, for a new take on grilled cheese to make it healthier. Your grilled cheese will now have more nutrients (thanks, cauliflower), but still tastes delicious and ooey-gooey, just like you like it.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 head of cauliflower, sliced into flat, thick pieces
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 slices of whole grain or your favorite bread
- 2 oz aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup baby arugula, washed and dried
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 medium jalapeño, minced (discard seeds)
1. Preheat oven to 425° F
2. Add the onion and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil to a medium saute pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened and caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Gently toss the cauliflower pieces with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and spread the cauliflower in a flat layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes until lightly browned.
4. Use a rubber spatula to flip the cauliflower, then roast another 5 minutes, watching closely to make sure that the pieces don’t burn.
5. Combine all of the mayo, garlic clove, and jalapeño into a bowl and mix well.
6. Spread both slices of bread with mayo mixture. Layer one slice with caramelized onions, roasted cauliflower, shredded cheese, and arugula. Top with the other slice of bread.
7. Add the butter to the pan used to caramelize the onions (fewer dishes for you!), heat the pan over medium-low heat, and add the sandwich, cook for 4 to 6 minutes per side.
8. Flip the sandwich and brown the other side, about 3 or 4 minutes. Slice the sandwich in half before serving.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in The Search for the Alzheimer’s Cure: Could This Nasal Spray Improve Symptoms in the Brain?.