Bored with plain oatmeal? Try this Jamaican-style cornmeal porridge that will keep you satisfied all morning long. Made with coconut oil, vanilla extract, and spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, you'll love its unique flavor.
1 cup cornmeal 4 cups water 1/4 cup coconut milk 3 tbsp brown sugar 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/4 cup almond milk 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Add cornmeal to a bowl, and then pour enough water into the bowl to cover the cornmeal. Use a fork to mix the cornmeal lightly with the water.
2. Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Turn the heat to medium.
3. Pour the water and cornmeal into the saucepan while stirring with a fork or wooden spoon. You will have to stir the mix continuously for about three minutes. This will stop the cornmeal from forming lumps. Be careful from this point on.
4. The porridge will splash and burn your hand if the heat is too high. Turn the heat down even more if the splashes get too high. Cover the saucepan and let simmer for about twenty to thirty minutes while occasionally stirring the mixture.
5. Turn off heat but do not remove the saucepan from the stove. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the nutmeg. Stir to sweeten the porridge and taste test. Add more ingredients if preferred and serve in small soup bowls. Garnish with ground nutmeg.
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s newsletter and never miss the best content.
Get everything you need to live healthy and happy.
Click here to sign up.