While whole grains like brown rice aren't bad for you, finding healthy alternatives isn't a bad idea. This cauliflower rice recipe is the perfect starch swap. Make this for dinner on the 7-Day Kickstart Cleanse.
Recipe excerpted from HOW TO BE WELL by Frank Lipman, MD. Copyright © 2018 by Frank Lipman, MD. Used by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved. Illustrations by Giacomo Bagnara.
- 1 medium head cauliflower (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Rinse and dry cauliflower, then cut the florets into big pieces and slice the thick stalk into thin disks.
2. Working in batches, put a few pieces of the cauliflower into a food processor and pulse until it is crumbly and resembles rice. Continue with the remaining pieces. You can also do this by grating with a cheese grater.
3. Heat the coconut oil in a large pan, add the onion, and sauté until the onion is lightly browned. Add the "riced" cauliflower and sauté until it is cooked through but not mushy (think al dente), about eight minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.