Enjoy this creamy and comforting, classic buttery dish by Dr. Alejandro Junger. With a nutritious twist and wholesome ingredients, you'll savor every bite.
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 4 oz red wine
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 4 cups chopped fresh mushrooms, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
1. Melt 2 tablespoons of the avocado oil in a 2-quart saucepan set over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until they are translucent, about 2 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium and stir in the rice.
2. Sauté the mixture for an additional 2 minutes. This toasts the rice and gives it a wonderful nutty flavor.
3. Pour in the red wine and allow it to reduce by half before adding 1 1/2 cups of the stock. Stir the mixture often and allow the rice to absorb most of the liquid before adding more.
4. Continue cooking and stirring the rice, adding the liquid in 1/2-cup increments and remembering to stir often. While the rice cooks, prepare the mushrooms.
5. In a medium skillet set over medium-high heat, sauté the mushrooms in avocado oil until they are lightly browned. Set them aside.
6. When the rice feels just about fully cooked, at this point, the mixture should be thick and creamy. Stir in the sautéed mushrooms, nutritional yeast, rosemary, and salt.
7. Finish with the olive or truffle oil, and serve immediately.
Excerpted from CLEAN EATS: Over 200 Delicious Recipes to Reset Your Body’s Natural Balance and Discover What It Means to Be Truly Healthy by Alejandro Junger, M.D. with permission by HarperOne, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Copyright 2014.