If you are looking for recipes on the keto diet, look no further than this delicious and easy to make lasagna. Everything in this low-carb recipe is keto approved, which means you can lose weight while still enjoying foods you love.
- 2 large eggplants (about 2 lbs), sliced very thin
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 5 tbsp butter or ghee (for frying)
- 9 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 12 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella
Fry the eggplant:
1. Beat eggs in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together almond flour, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp oregano, and 1 tsp thyme.
3. Dredge each side of eggplant first in the egg, then in the almond flour mixture, shaking a little to loosen any excess.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp of the butter and 1 tbsp of the olive oil.
5. Line a large dinner plate or baking sheet with a layer of paper towel and set aside (but within easy reach). Fry eggplant slices about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until lightly golden brown.
6. As soon as eggplant is golden brown, quickly remove to the paper towel-lined plate. Continue this process (adding more butter and/or olive oil to the pan as needed — up to 5 tbsp total) until all of the eggplant is fried. Set eggplant aside to cool and continue onto the next step.
Make the sauce:
1. In a clean, large skillet, heat another 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan and sauté until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Once onion is softened (but not yet brown), add the mushrooms, salt (to taste), pepper, (to taste), garlic, 1/4 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp thyme, and red pepper flakes (if using) and continue to sauté another 5 minutes.
3. When mushrooms begin to soften and brown lightly and herbs are fragrant, add the ground beef, breaking up into chunks with your spoon, and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink, about 6-7 minutes.
4. Mix in canned diced tomatoes and sherry vinegar and simmer until tomato sauce is thickened, about 15-20 minutes.
Assemble the lasagna:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper, 2 tbsp olive oil, and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Set aside until ready to use.
3. Layer everything up! In a 9x13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, start with a small amount of sauce in the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking. Then cover that sauce in a layer of pre-cooked eggplant slices (just enough to cover the bottom). Dollop each slice of eggplant with 1-2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture, then cover that in another layer of meat sauce and a few pieces of torn fresh basil leaves. Repeat this process two more times.
4. Over the final layer of sauce, again add some fresh torn basil, then fresh mozzarella, torn up into strips or small pieces and scattered evenly across the top.
5. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until cheese is melty and eggplant is completely cooked through.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!