Ellie Krieger, registered dietician and host of the Food Network's Healthy Appetite, shares this recipe from her longevity arsenal. Prevention can start in your kitchen if you have the right ingredients. Prepare for your next trip to the supermarket with Dr. Oz's Longevity Grocery List. To purchase your copy of The Food You Crave, click here.
Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 3/4 cup frozen shelled edamame, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernals
- 6 oz firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
Make a 3-inch well in the center of the rice mixture. Add the remaining 1 tsp oil, then add the eggs and cook until nearly fully scrambled. Stir the eggs into the rice mixture, then add the soy sauce and incorporate thoroughly. Serve hot.
Total fat 12.5g (Sat fat 2g, Mono fat 4.5g, Poly fat 2.5g)
Recipe courtesy of The Food you Crave (Taunton, 2008)