- 7 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, cut into large pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 can (15.5 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 large Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 1 medium mango, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, very thinly sliced into rounds
- 4 lime wedges
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Toss the tomatoes, onion and garlic with the oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl, then transfer to baking sheet. Roast until the garlic cloves have softened, the edges of the onions are browned, and the tomatoes have collapsed, 35-40 minutes, stirring once after the first 20 minutes.
Transfer the roasted vegetable mixture to a 4-quart saucepan. Add the broth, beans, cumin, chili powder and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and blend until smooth with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Stir in the hot sauce. Divide among 4 bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Place a lettuce leaf on each serving plate. Arrange 4-5 slices each of avocado and mango, alternating them in a row, into each lettuce cup. Top each with a few onion rounds, and then squeeze lime wedge over each salad. Season with salt and pepper and serve.