Tuna burgers don't have to be bland fishcakes sandwiched between dry bread. Fresh lemon juice, tarragon, minced garlic, and black pepper pack a ton of flavor in Sandra “Pepa” Denton's omega-3-rich tuna burgers. Pepa's power meal makes for a satisfying lunch or dinner anytime.
- 1 lb fresh or frozen skinless tuna fillets
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup dry whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 medium avocado, halved, seeded, and peeled
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 whole-grain or whole-wheat sandwich thins, split and toasted
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 4 slices tomato
1. Thaw tuna, if frozen. Rinse tuna; pat dry with paper towels. Finely chop tuna and set aside. In a medium bowl beat egg white with a fork. Stir in bread crumbs, tarragon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add tuna; stir gently to combine. Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties, using damp hands if necessary.
2. In a shallow dish combine the flaxseed meal and flaxseeds. Dip tuna patties into flaxseed mixture, turning to coat evenly.
3. Coat a large nonstick skillet or nonstick griddle with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Add tuna patties; cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into sides of patties registers 160°F, turning once halfway through cooking time.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl use a potato masher or fork to coarsely mash avocado. Add mayonnaise, lemon peel, lemon juice, garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Continue to mash until mixture is well mixed but still slightly chunky.
5. To serve, place one sandwich thin half with cut side up on each of four serving plates. Top with spinach leaves and tomato slices. Top each with a cooked tuna patty. Spoon one-fourth of the avocado mixture over each patty.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Why Are So Many People Overdosing On Anxiety Drugs?.