Yes, it's possible for cookies to be grain-free and 100 percent delicious. In this recipe, the almond butter and cocoa powder bind together and act as the batter, making them excellent alternatives to flour. This recipe can be customized for anyone following dairy-free or gluten-free diets as well. Enjoy these cookies as a snack on-the-go or as dessert. Trust us, once you start, it'll be hard to stop.
- 1 1/4 cups natural almond butter (pure almond kind)
- 1/4 cup honey plus 2 tablespoons for the filling
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder (or Hershey's special dark cocoa powder))
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate, melted (use Enjoy Life chocolate chips for dairy-free)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (the kind with just peanut butter and salt)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or unsalted butter (for non-dairy-free version)
1. Give the almond butter a good sitr with a spoon or knife. This helps redistribute the oil.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the almond butter, honey, coconut sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Once it is thoroughly combined, mix in the melted chocolate. At this point, the dough will be very wet and seem a little oily. This is normal and the refrigeration will take care of it.
4. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the dough for 1 hour or until it's no longer sticky and easy to roll into balls.
5. Meanwhile, start preparing the peanut butter filling. In a medium bowl, mix together the peanut butter, 2 tablespoons of honey, and coconut oil until well combined. Place it in the refrigerator.
6. Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a baking tray with a Silpat or a piece of parchment paper.
7. Roll the dough into 3/4 inch balls and place then 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking tray.
8. Bake for 4-6 minutes or just until the top of the cookies appear baked. They may or may not have puffed up. If they appear puffy, they'll deflate a little while cooling.
9. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool completely on the baking tray.
10. Once the cookies have completely cooled, assemble the cookie sandwiches by rolling a marble-sized ball of filling mixture and placing it in the middle of a cookie. Press down slightly and place another cookie on top.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Addicted to Tanning: What You Need to Know to Undo the Damage Right Now.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!