Makes 4 servings
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked freekeh
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup water or stock
- 1 handful each fresh mint, parsley and cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
1. Place the onions and garlic in the oil in a heavy large pot. Sauté on medium heat stirring occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Soak the freekeh in cold water for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse well.
3. Add the freekeh to the pot and then add the cinnamon and allspice and salt and pepper. Add the water and adjust salt to taste.
4. Bring to a boil, the cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let it sit covered for 5 minutes.
5. Remove lid, fluff with fork and place in a serving bowl.
6. Add the herbs and mix well. Top with pine nuts.