Photo by Elizabeth Griffin
Did you love ice cream floats when you were a kid? Us too! This delicious cherry and vanilla float recipes uses frozen cherries to create a decadent and refreshing dessert.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 2 1/2 cups frozen dark cherries, pitted and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
- club soda or seltzer, chilled
- vanilla ice cream
- whole thawed frozen pitted cherries, for serving
For the syrup:
1. Stir together the chopped cherries, sugar, pepper, salt, and 3/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to an active simmer over medium heat and cook until it has a thick syrup consistency, about 15 minutes. Strain the syrup through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl, pressing gently but firmly on the solids and scraping the bottom of the strainer to extract as much syrup as possible; discard the solids.
2. Stir in the vanilla and let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes. Makes about 2/3 cup.
To make the float:
1. Add 2 tablespoons syrup to an 8 ounce glass and top with 1/2 cup chilled club soda. Add in a scoop of ice cream and garnish with a couple of whole cherries.