Photo from Elizabeth Griffin
This recipe is Total Health Take Back-Approved!
This dish is keto diet-approved and can be eaten on any low-carb focused diet. The combination of ingredients mixed with the chicken and spinach tastes deliciously decadent (and definitely not like a diet food dish). Enjoy this dish for dinner on a regular night or make for a larger group to impress and satisfy guests.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 5 chicken thighs, skin on, bone-in
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 tbsp white wine or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 sprigs fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs baby spinach
- zest of 1 lemon
1. Heat a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1 tbsp olive oil and the butter. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan, skin side down.
2. Sear on all sides until deep brown in color, about 6 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add in the onions, 2 cloves garlic, and thyme and saute until translucent. Add in the vinegar and scrape up all of the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the mustard and add in the chicken stock and season with salt and pepper.
4. Place the chicken back into the pan skin side up and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream and the tarragon.
6. To make spinach, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add in the 2 tbsp olive oil and 3 cloves garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add in the spinach in batches until wilted. Grate in the zest of the lemon and stir to combine. Place on a platter and top with the chicken.